Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Tuesday ramblings

Yesterday Mrs. RWP and I went to the Cherokee County Health Department to get our annual flu shots. The shots are free if you’re covered by Medicare, which we are. Otherwise, each shot costs twenty dollars. That’s one of the perks of getting old, I guess.

Last year when we went for our shots, we were in and out in a matter of minutes. This year, however, we had to wait for over and hour, and while we waited we watched a television set that was showing a series of features on health. I try to learn something new every day, and I learned a number of new things sitting there watching that health channel for an hour. I thought I would put together a little test for you, dear reader, so that you might learn something worthwhile as you jump from blog to blog in search of entertainment. Here’s the test. Good luck, and no fair looking anything up:

1. Cauliflower is a good source of:
a. Vitamin A
b. Vitamin C
c. Vitamin D

2. Before the invention of the electric light, how many hours of sleep did an average American get each night?
a. 8 hours
b. 10 hours
c. 12 hours

3. How many pounds of potatoes does an average American eat in one year?
a. 10 pounds
b. 50 pounds
c. 127 pounds

4. True or false: In women who have had migraine headaches, the headaches tend to increase after menopause.
a. True
b. False

Put your answers in a comment at this post, and I’ll reveal the correct answers in my next post.

Our plan was to vote early yesterday after we received our flu shots. Four public libraries in our county have been designated as early voting places. But the lines were very long and the parking lots were full to overflowing at the two libraries we passed, and after already waiting for an hour at the Health Department we were not eager to wait some more. So we’ll attempt to vote later in the week. Oh, get this: The reason there was such a long wait at the Health Department yesterday was that only one nurse was on duty. When we mentioned to her that we were on our way to vote, she told us that most of the County Health Department nurses were at the polling places, providing flu shots to people waiting in line to vote! A “vote and vacs” (vaccinate) drive, she called it. A good idea, but too late to matter to us.

We did stop on the way home to buy dog food for Jethro, though. Just so you know we have kept our priorities straight.

11 comments:

  1. 1. a
    2. b
    3. b
    4. b

    I'm going to get my flu shot today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. You didn't tell us to study for a quiz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1..a b and c...2..8..10..and 12 hrs..3..19.. 50 and 127 pounds...4.true and false...i am afraid of the flue shot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth, you had two right answers and two wrong answers. But I'm still going to make you wait to find out which ones they are!

    Putz, dear friend, I fear you misunderstood. You were supposed to give *your* answers, not all of *my* answers! You may try again, if you like. There is only one correct answer to each question.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right or wrong:
    1- Vitamin C
    2 - 10 hours
    3- 127
    4 - False

    Glad you put your waiting time to good use. I haven't yet had a flu shot, nor voted, although I've tried twice on the latter. Lines are *very* long. I'll be happy when this election process is (more or less) over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We get our flue shot tomorrow but they won't let us vote there.
    Now I can't remember the questions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you have a whole bunch of senile people on this blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. C
    2. C
    3. C
    4. B

    Can't wait to find out the answers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1- Vitamin C
    2 - 10 hours
    3 - 127
    4 - False

    And I hope you are voting for Obama or we will nuke you... and Jethro too! Here boy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um ... let me think.

    A - b
    B - b
    C - c
    D - b

    I have no idea how many potatoes Americans eat. Or how long they sleep. Just guessing on those.

    Oh, heck, I'm just guessing on the others, too! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I am a day late but ok here goes.
    1. b (my momma told me this a long time ago)
    2. c
    3. b
    4. b

    I love Putz's comment of a bunch of senile people on here. I am still laughing.

    ReplyDelete

<b>Always true to you, darlin’, in my fashion</b>

We are bombarded daily by abbreviations in everyday life, abbreviations that are never explained, only assumed to be understood by everyone...