Monday, May 4, 2009

I think I’m having a flashback


For those of you too young to remember him, here’s “Tiny Tim singing Tiptoe Through the Tulips” on Laugh-In in 1968.

And here he is in front of a crowd of 600,000 people at the Isle of Wight Festival in 1970 singing “There’ll Always Be An England”.

And just in case you are now having trouble deciding which voice you prefer, here, depending on your point of view, is either a tour de force or the coup de grace, Tiny Tim singing an unforgettable duet -- with himself.

Or you could just read this article from Wikipedia.

After reading the article, now you know, as Paul Harvey used to say on the radio (a quaint device of the twentieth century), the rest of the story.

Once again I am indebted to Yorkshire Pudding of Sheffield, Yorkshire, England for inspiring a post.

6 comments:

  1. now this post is more like it....i always took tiny tim seriously...he always meant to come out seriously....he thought and tinks and does have a very good voice...i have always liked falsetto...very lovely....and with boy gerge who was also a serious singer we have two of the most profound influences of the eighteenth century

    ReplyDelete
  2. Putz - I have only two comments:

    He tinks?

    boy gerge?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot all about him. I just loved " There'll always be an England.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like Tiny Tim deserved to have musical fame, even if it was as a "novelty singer".

    So odd....you included "There Will Always Be An England" and that is the title of Sempringham's post today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, never heard of the guy actually. I think he's quite brilliant. Loved the Tiptoe through the tulips-performance. Made me smile and I will definitely send the link to some of my friends here who I'm sure will love it too.

    And uhm, since I'm here, catching up on you brilliant blog, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind words and give you a BIG virtual HUG. And I missed you too. Honestly!

    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A third question for Putz - Eighteenth century?

    Dr. John - But did you ever work him into a sermon? That's the question.

    Jeannelle - Sempringham and I were separated at birth.

    Carolina - Welcome back from your three-week hiatus! I have heard a lot of things said about Tiny Tim, but never that he was "quite brilliant." If I squint, though, I can see what you mean, especially from a distance of 40 years.

    ReplyDelete

<b>Always true to you, darlin’, in my fashion</b>

We are bombarded daily by abbreviations in everyday life, abbreviations that are never explained, only assumed to be understood by everyone...