Thursday, June 4, 2009

Once upon a time...

there was this couple, Fran and Mario Cowan, who were 90 years old and had been married for 62 years. They had to go to the Mayo Clinic to have something or other checked or probed or looked into, and, as luck would have it, when they walked through the front door they noticed a piano just sitting there in the atrium doing nothing. What happened next will have you in stitches.

Fran and Mario at the Mayo Clinic

It gets better each time you watch it.

For those of you too young to remember, Fran and Mario are playing “Put On Your Old Grey Bonnet” (Words by Stanley Murphy, Music by Percy Wenrich, copyright 1919. Remick, NY). Here are the words to the chorus:

“Put on your old grey bonnet
With the blue ribbons on it,
While I hitch old Dobbin to the shay,
And through the fields of clover,
We’ll drive up to Dover
On our golden wedding day.”

Many thanks to my friend Lori Riggs for sending me the clip, along with a note saying now she knows what I’ll be doing when I'm in my nineties.

In three years, eleven months, and fifteen days, God willing, Mrs. RWP and I will celebrate the golden anniversary of our own wedding day. If Fran and Mario are still available, maybe we’ll book them to play at the party.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, thank you, what a perfect way to start the day! That was so sweet. I love the way he bounces when he plays, and the little pats and caresses he gets in when they change sides. I may have to watch that first thing every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new take on an harmonious life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many wishes that you will reach your golden anniversary and that you will blog about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to all of you for your comments! So far, I have not tired of listening to Fran and Mario, except that he hits a few klinkers (clinkers?) along the way, and he never seems to get any better....

    But he certainly has more bounce to the ounce!

    ReplyDelete
  5. RWP:

    Great Post...seems I clicked one more time and there it was.

    Would hate to think I had lost you!

    Your Golden will I hope produce another geat post...I'll wait.

    ReplyDelete

<b>Always true to you, darlin’, in my fashion</b>

We are bombarded daily by abbreviations in everyday life, abbreviations that are never explained, only assumed to be understood by everyone...