Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Aunt Zeituni Onyango

Watch these.  Then well talk.

Aunt Zeituni, Part 1 (5:46)

Aunt Zeituni, Part 2 (4:30)

In some ways these videos represent everything thats good about the American system.  In some ways they represent everything thats bad about the American system.  Do we show them to our glory? Or do we show them to our shame?

You will have to decide for yourself.

But I am reminded of certain verses from the Old Testament (and we do claim to be a nation founded on Judeao-Christian principles, President Obamas opinion notwithstanding):

(Stay with me, Carolina, dont tune out just yet.)

“Do not mistreat an alien or oppress him, for you were aliens in Egypt.” (Exodus 22:21)

“When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him. The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the Lord your God.” (Leviticus 19: 33-34)

“When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest. Leave them for the poor and the alien. I am the Lord your God.” (Leviticus 23:22)


“The community is to have the same rules for you and for the alien living among you; this is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come. You and the alien shall be the same before the Lord.” (Numbers 15:15)


For better or for worse, weve come a long way, baby.

Of course, the Old Testament also says this:

“An alien living among you who wants to celebrate the Lord's Passover must have all the males in his household circumcised; then he may take part like one born in the land. No uncircumcised male may eat of it.” (Exodus 12:48)

Ouch.

I guess that one, at least, doesnt have anything to do with Aunt Zeituni.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, if you hadn't told me to 'stay with you', I would have left. But I stayed and read on. And then I clicked on the Aunt Zeituni, Part 1 video, but did not watch it entirely, because I am not interested in the aunt of your President and whether she is an illegal alien. I'm sure you cannot hold Barack Obama responsible for the actions and words of his aunt.

    I sure hope you don't hold me responsible for the things my parents or other members of my family say or think or do.

    You can of course blame my parents for everything I do wrong ;-)

    Interesting quotes.

    ReplyDelete

<b> More random thoughts</b>

As the saying goes, De gustibus non est disputandum unless you prefer De gustibus non disputandum est . Latin purists do. Do what? you a...