Thursday, June 9, 2011

I Yam What I Yam And That’s All That I Yam

Reader David Barlow, otherwise known as Putz, who lives in Manti/Ephraim/Tooele (pick one), Utah, has suggested that now that we have explored cabbage, we should explore spinach. Actually, what he wrote was:

“delightful, simply delightful post on cabbage, a most appealing vegatable<>>>now why don’t you do a post on spinack”

Despite the facts that (a) he didn’t begin either of his sentences with a capital letter, (b) he ended his first sentence with the rather strange punctuation mark <>>>, (c) he didn’t end his second sentence (which, as all former potential Jeopardy contestants know, was in the form of a question) with any punctuation at all, (d) he misspelled vegetable, and (e) he also misspelled spinach, calling it spinack, I have decided to follow his suggestion after a fashion.

I say “after a fashion” because I have no intention of doing a post on another vegetable at this time, but I tell you what I will do, I will include ten links that will enable you to create your own post on all things spinack spinach.

Here they are:

1. Spinach -- Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. Ultimate Spinach -- Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. Basella alba -- Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. Spinach -- FarmVille Wiki -- Seeds, Animals, Buildings, Events

5. Red Spinach -- FarmVille Wiki

6. Spinach juice -- Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki

7. Creamed Spinach (a recipe)

8. Spanakopita (a description)

9. Spanakopita (a recipe)

10. Popeye the Sailor Man

In the first link alone, you will learn that spinach is thought to have originated in ancient Persia, that in 1533 Catherine de Medici (queen of France) so fancied spinach that she insisted it be served at every meal, that there are three basic types of spinach (savoy, semi-savoy, and flat/smooth leaf spinach), that spinach is packaged in air or nitrogen gas to extend its shelf life, that the United States is the world’s second-largest producer of spinach with 3 percent of world output (following the People's Republic of China, which accounts for 85 percent of output), and that the top spinach-producing U.S. states in 2004-06 were California (73 percent), Arizona (12 percent), and New Jersey (3 percent) with 12 other states reporting production of at least 100 acres.

If you have 100 spare acres just lying fallow and plenty of time on your hands, you can become a statistic in the next edition of Wikipedia’s article on spinach. If you don’t have any acres but still have plenty of time on your hands, you can play Farmville, make some creamed spinach, learn how to prepare spanakopita, or bone up on all things Popeye.

In any event, knock yourselves out. I can’t do all the work all the time, you know.

Until next time, I will be stompin’ at the semi-savoy.

8 comments:

  1. My, my, my! All (and more than) I ever wanted to know about spinach. I like spinach and usually have a can of (Popeye brand) on the pantry shelf and fresh spinach in the 'frig.

    You do find some 'different' things to post about, RWP. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. your posts are becoming more and more relevant although your critizms are unfounded<><>my way of expressing myself is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat in Arkansas, Mrs. RWP uses fresh spinach in salads, frozen spinach in hot dishes. I don't know that I have ever seen a can of Popeye spinach.

    Putz, I don't know what percentage of my reading public you constitute, but you constitute a large per cent of my commenting public, which I try to keep happy. This is not to say that I will always create a post just because you suggest it, but since you are definitely reading my posts I will always take what you say into consideration.

    That and 50 cents will buy you one-third of a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. number two on yopur aforementioned post was on a rock band ultimate spinach and not on the spelled right this time vegetable

    ReplyDelete
  5. Putz, I know. I did not create this post in a vacuum. I just wondered how many would catch it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. to Putz: Perhaps Ultimate Spinach the rock band is a kind of vegetable too. I like to think so. Vegetables don't have a brain, they just plop themselves in front of you and dare you not to partake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you might enjoy the picture that appeared this MondayHERE although it has no cabbage, it does have a lot of vegetable varieties to see...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This year I'm growing Turkish spinach in my vegetable garden. I've never grown or eaten Turkish spinach before. This weekend we'll taste it for the first time. Exciting times.

    ReplyDelete

<b> More random thoughts</b>

As the saying goes, De gustibus non est disputandum unless you prefer De gustibus non disputandum est . Latin purists do. Do what? you a...