Thursday, April 18, 2013

Tree’s a crowd

Last week I participated in a microfiction meme over at Grandma’s Goulash. If you don’t remember my entry, it had to do with donkeys at the bottom of a canyon.

Well, it’s another week now and another microfiction meme has reared its ugly head. This could become habit-forming. Here’s this week’s picture, followed by my contribution, which is limited by the rules to 140 characters:



When Nigel turned to Pamela at the dinner party and whispered, “Let’s make like a tree and leave” she hadn’t realized he meant it literally. (140)

Here’s the link to Grandma’s Goulash if you would like to have a try at it yourself.

4 comments:

  1. An interesting meme. I thank "Grandma" for sharing the photo of the unusual sculptures; they are lovely. I haven't heard "make like a tree..." for quite some time. We are of the same (almost)generation, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously don't think I could top that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat (an Arkansas stamper), I will pass your thanks on to "Grandma" by whom I suppose you mean Grandma. Our generation had some other "make like a" sayings also, such as "make like a shepherd and get the flock out of here" and the always-popular "make like a hockey player and get the puck out of here"....

    Shooting Parrots (Ian), thank you for the compliment. Coming from you, it is extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If a tree-pun is topped in the forest, would anyone still groan?
    I think we should all leaf such (a)corny puns out of it, log off and go holm.

    ReplyDelete

<b>Always true to you, darlin’, in my fashion</b>

We are bombarded daily by abbreviations in everyday life, abbreviations that are never explained, only assumed to be understood by everyone...