Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Hodie Christus natus est


Well, not exactly hodie, more like the day after tomorrow, but I may not post again before Christmas.

As we used to say in Old English, wolcum yol.

Shooting Parrots expressed his admiration of the nativity tableau in my last post. Ian, this close-up is for you. Yorkshire Pudding expressed his dislike that my photographs overlap into my sidebar. As my mother used to say, like it or lump it.

I thought I skipped the Bah, Humbug phase this year, but apparently it is trying to rear its ugly head.

I won't let it.

I will listen to Benjamin Britten's Ceremony of Carols.

I will listen to the Christmas portion of Handel's Messiah.

I will listen to the King Singers sing "Lo, How A Rose E'er Blooming".

I will listen to the good folk in Gloucester Cathedral sing Christina Rossetti's words, "In the Bleak Midwinter".

I will listen to Karen Carpenter sing "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas".

I recommend that you do the same. If those won't get you out of any residual pre-holiday funk, nothing will.

I have used U.K.-style end punctuation throughout this post (the periods outside the double commas).

I repeat, Wolcum yol.

4 comments:

  1. I hope the Bah Humbug bug has forgotten how to reach you.
    All the best for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't visited you lately... My father passed away very suddenly a few weeks ago, and this season has been quiet, contemplative and more than a little sad. I want to wish you a Merry Christmas, and a blessed New Year, my friend. And I think your recommended listening will be a balm to my heart and my spirit. All His best to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. “I thought I skipped the Bah, Humbug phase this year, but apparently it is trying to rear its ugly head.”

    Should I take that personally!? Sure, I think the baby looks cold, what with it being winter and all, but far be it from me to suggest that someone make a blanket for him. None of those gift-givers arrived with anything a baby could actually use, but maybe it’s tough strapping Pampers onto a camel, and that made it preferable to bring stuff that Joseph could sell to buy Pampers, and I guess the formula part of his needs was already taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate the punctuation, makes all the difference! Happy Christmas dearie *smiles* x

    ReplyDelete

<b>Always true to you, darlin’, in my fashion</b>

We are bombarded daily by abbreviations in everyday life, abbreviations that are never explained, only assumed to be understood by everyone...