Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Happy 90th Birthday, Your Majesty! (April, May, and June)

The 90th birthday of Queen Elizabeth II occurred a few days ago, but the official celebration won't happen until June, when the weather should be better. In the meantime, what are we to do?

Celebrate for the entire time, of course!

Or we can have a humorous look back in time by watching Beatrice Lillie, Lady Peel, perform "March With Me to the Roll of the Drum" in a video clip from 1957 (the clip was apparently part of a tribute to comedian Ed Wynn emceed by actor Ralph Bellamy) because the final line of the chorus -- "England is proud of you!" -- and the repeated line "April, May, and June" also apply to Her Majesty on this, her 90th birthday.

Click here and enjoy! (4:39)

4 comments:

  1. As a loyal subject of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, I find Canadian Beatrice Lillie's ditty most offensive. How would you like it if I posted such a mocking and disrespectful song about President Trump? It was interesting to notice that said Beatrice Lillie must have had severe problems with her memory as she kept checking the lyrics on a piece of paper. No wonder she died suffering from Alzheimer's disease in 1989.

    (Comment transmitted from January 2017)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you didn't like the song. More importantly, I fervently hope the occasion for your own proposed ditty never becomes a reality, though if it does, I might be it singing loudest of all. Only time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CHORUS: Trump done build a wall...Who gonna pay for it?...Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "How would you like it if I posted such a mocking and disrespectful song about President Trump?"

    Are you sure you want to draw an equivalency between the treatment of someone you presumably respect and a man about whom it would be hard for either Robert or myself to think of enough bad things to say? I think it obvious that the office of president doesn’t get the respect it once did. A noteworthy example was when a Republican legislator yelled “Liar,” at Obama during a State of the Union address. Such contempt accomplishes nothing of good, but such is what we have, and if Trump is actually elected, my disdain will be such that I will have no words for it. In fact, I don’t even know how I will be able to think of America as my country.

    This brings to mind a question, Robert. If the only big party candidates are Trump and Clinton, who will you vote for? I suppose I’ll vote Green because it’s just too darn disagreeable being put in the position of either having to choose between two people I despise, or voting for someone I respect but who has no chance of winning. In that situation, I’ll go for the person I respect.

    ReplyDelete

<b>My new favorite poem</b>

...is the following one, purportedly by Billy Collins: Another Reason Why I Don't Keep A Gun In The House The neighbors'...